Greater Frisco Salutes One of its Own
Greater Frisco Mother Graduates with Leadership Frisco
Class of XX
Renee Sample received a Certificate of Completion for the 2016-17 Leadership Frisco program. The 9-month program is dedicated to expanding leadership skills, deepening civic responsibility, and becoming more involved in the community as a whole. Congratulations Renee!
Jack and Jill of America, Inc. made history in January 2013. We came to Washington, DC, 1,600 strong to celebrate the historic inauguration of President Barack Obama. It was magical to see our beautiful children dressed to the nines, beaming with pride in the richness of our history and the joy of our future.
Inauguration weekend was a wonderful backdrop for a number of significant moments in our history. We were grateful to have the opportunity to recognize the 150th anniversary of the Emancipation Proclamation, the 84th birthday of the Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. and the 75th anniversary of our beloved Jack and Jill of America, Inc. There were so many wonderful highlights throughout the weekend. We are especially proud to acknowledge: An outstanding legislative forum which brought together Representative Gregory Meeks from New York and Congresswoman Marcia Fudge from Ohio to educate our children, teens and parents on how we can have impact on the legislative process;
- Excellent educational programming for our children that supported our STEAM programmatic thrusts. We are grateful to NASA and the National African-American Museum for their support in these standing-room only events;
- A once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to worship with the First Family at Metropolitan AME Church and a prayer and praise service featuring our children and families;
- A myriad of community service opportunities that gave our families an opportunity to make a difference for those in need;
- A wonderful anniversary toast with past and present regional and national leaders that included four past national presidents, and last but not least:
- Two unforgettable Pink, White & Blue Balls with outstanding entertainment and a beautiful atmosphere for our children, teens, members and guests. We were also honored to have the Mayor of Washington, D.C. Vincent Gray provide a welcome and join the festivities.
The National Executive Board is grateful to all of the volunteers, national committee members and the event planning team who contributed to the planning of this memorable weekend. The theme of the weekend embraced the nation's inauguration theme: Faith in America's Future. The weekend's experience bolstered our faith in the important work of our organization to develop youth leaders and make a difference in every way we can. Building on the sacrifices of our founding mothers and all who have come before us, we are well positioned to strengthen our place in history as the premier organization for African-American families.
Here's to our next 75 years. The best is yet to come!